Passing the Test
September 10, 2017 Pastor: Jim Swaney Series: We Have This Treasure, a Journey Through 2 Corinthians
Scripture: 2 Corinthians 13
2 Corinthians—We Have This Treasure September 9/10, 2017
2 Corinthians 13—“Passing the Test”
Question: When you are “put on trial”, do you think more about saving your reputation or what people will think about Christ?
5 “Examine yourselves to see whether you are in the faith; test yourselves. Do you not realize that Christ Jesus is in you—unless, of course, you fail the test?” 2 Corinthians 13:5 (NIV)
A Spiritual Self Check-up:
- Can you look back and pinpoint a specific time in your life when you accepted Christ as your Savior and Lord? When you committed your life to follow Him?
- Can you point to a specific time and place when you consciously declared your allegiance to Christ publicly, by being BAPTIZED into Christ, in water?
- Has your thought life changed? Have your attitudes, your goals, your habits and your lifestyle changed at all, to better reflect GOD’S Purposes for you?
- Is there any “spiritual fruit” in your life? Any LOVE, or JOY, or PEACE? Are you more or less patient? Kindness, goodness, or faithfulness? Any more gentleness or self-control?
5) Do you have any of Christ’s presence and power in your life?
6) Do you have any zeal or passion for the Kingdom of God?
7) Do you have any concern for or burden to reach those who are outside God’s family?
- Examine your own life and see if you’re really a Christ follower. If there is a root of faith
there, there will also be the fruit of godly behavior.
- Be real and authentic: admit and share your weaknesses, because then Christ’s power and love shines through more.
- Count on God’s grace-filled, loving presence and friendship to empower you to live a contagious life of joy & peace!
“May the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit be with you all.” 2 Corinthians 13:14 (NIV)